Moodle is a free, open-source learning management system (LMS) available to users in corporate and academic settings. It allows course administrators to extend users' education beyond the classroom or office. Private websites can be created and customized to include dynamic courses that engage learners and allow their progress to be tracked and reported.
Moodle's focus is on usability, and includes customizable themes and a wide range of modules and features. Individual learners can be tested through assignments and quizzes, and collaboration can be promoted through user-generated wikis, workshops and forums.
Gamification features such as rewards, leaderboards and hidden easter eggs help keep learners engaged, while freely available plug-ins and add-ons allow course administrators to create a learning environment that fits their needs.
Moodle is Web-based and comes with over 100 language packs for use in most parts of the world, along with the global network of certified Moodle Partners available to assist with integration and customer support.
Chamath N. Especialidade: Software Número de funcionários: Profissional autônomo
In the beginning, I would say it's a bit harder to learn but after I read their documentation and refer some guides I become a master of Moodle. There are a good amount of helping documentations with Moodle you can find almost anything on their documentation. I’m happy to say that still our students using it daily. If you have a small budget this is a great choice. I’m very satisfied on Moodle and I can recommend for anyone those who are looking for a good LMS platform
I have used Moodle for an organization to implement an e-learning platform. I have searched for may LMS and finally, I selected Moodle because it’s open source and very customizable for our requirements. While I am using the Moodle I can list down some pros according to my experience
- Moodle has Multilingual capability that allows users to use multi-language it was a great feature for me.
- Manage user roles and permission, You can define roles to users and manage user access
- Bulk course creation and easy to backup
- Customizable or create our own themes
- Very useful calendar to track course deadlines, meetings and many more
- Admin user can Install and disable 3rd party plugins
Though Moodle offers many features there are some things that I don’t like much. I can list a few cons of Moodle
- The learning curve is a bit higher for administration and building Moodle courses for First-time users
- If you need to customize some functionalities requires a Moodle programmer
- The look and feel a bit outdated even if you use a theme it feels like bit older
- I faced some upgrading issues it’s not that easy for me
Clyde eugene M. Especialidade: Educação superior Número de funcionários: 51-200 funcionários
Overall, I would say Moodle has been great, since I have now mastered many aspects of the LMS. The first few months were painful, but it was all worth it.
Moodle is a robust LMS that we use at our university. It exceptionally manages student learning by offering the tools that educators need to teach in the 21st century.
The quiz creation tools are what won me over from a competitor in this space. My reluctance to jump on board was further eased by discovering just how customisable it is. Admins can install new plugins that add extra functionality (and there are plenty of these to choose from) as well as themes that spruce up the interface (it may be necessary depending on your taste).
There is also a very supportive community backing the Moodle project and the support of this community is indispensable to anyone looking to fully maximise their use of the LMS.
Moodle also updates the platform ever so often, and as I write, they recently updated to Moodle 3.8 (I have work to do to update my site on v3.6).
Moodle is a beast in terms of functionality and this, unfortunately, is its biggest drawback. It is not an easy job trying to onboard new faculty members with no background in IT. It has a somewhat steepish learning curve that can certainly be tackled but not without exerting some effort and patience.
The UI is also not as inspiring. I am glad that recent updates have really modernised the look and feel of the LMS but other competitors excel in offering an intuitive out-of-the-box experience. This can be easily overcome by theming the LMS and Moodle has done well in allowing this though it needs an experienced professional to do this.
Dung B. Especialidade: Construção Número de funcionários: 13-50 funcionários
During my 4 years studying at university, I used Moodle almost everyday (including website and mobile app) for studying. Study documentation could be downloaded, finished asssignment could be uploaded, and information concerning my study or job opportunities could be found from Moodle.
In general, it's totally worth to use this app, especially in education purposes such as my case.
Moodle allowed me to access for learning, downloading, uploading my study documentation all the time.
Sometimes there is bug/lag problems while using but they mostly come from my university website due to its massive amount of information and documents.
Avaliador Verificado Especialidade: Gestão da educação Número de funcionários: 51-200 funcionários
So far, my colleague developers and I are excited about Moodle. We're currently customizing it (creating courses, students, faculty members, enrolling students in their courses, branding, carrying out training for both faculty and students) to suit our University's standard as we will deploy it for our students this academic year 2019/2020.
- It's built with the common language PHP and MySQL which makes it easy to customize (by Developers)
- It has so many detailed features built-in, such as setting the date a course will begin and end, methods for learners to enroll in a course, the timezone of the learner, and more features.
- Many plugins (such as video LiveStreaming, quiz modules, assignment modules) are present which provides even more features to the software.
- It has detailed documentation for Developers and General users on how to carry out functions on the software.
- Moodle is so far one of the best e-learning software which fosters the distant learning culture and is so helpful to learners for example in areas with a socio-political crisis.
- A fee is required for any least additional functionality the client wants to be added on Moodle.
- The codebase is so hard to understand especially for non-Moodle Developers hence making it difficult to customize Moodle by yourself or team developers if they are not an expert.
- Moodle is strictly course-based, making it hard to integrate and synchronize with say, a platform already built and used by a school, in this case, our University.
- Email sent by the Moodle system to users always land in their spam/junk folder or doesn't even get sent at all.
Youssef K. Especialidade: Serviços e tecnologia da informação Número de funcionários: 13-50 funcionários
I've been using moodle since my university years. My graduation project , 14 years ago, was to implement and customize moodle. Since then I implemented it for 3 universities and still managing it
It's free and open source and has a great community to support you
You will face a lot of issues if you are trying to setup moodle on a windows server